It’s not that we haven’t eaten since the last recipe post 5 days ago; not likely! But between whipping up a salad, defrosting a ready-made meal, and going out to a restaurant, there wasn’t much worth sharing.
But last night afforded me another chance to exercise some culinary creativity. I will call this dish,
Brown Rice with Franks and Peas
- 1 cup of brown rice
- 2 cups of water
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 2 bouillon cubes
- 1 1/2 cups purple hull peas
- 3 franks (pork, beef, or tofu)
- In a tea kettle, bring water to a boil; meanwhile, sauté garlic clove in oil until it turns brown, then discard.
- Pour rice into heated oil and toss around until it becomes toasted (you’ll know because it will turn a different color); DO NOT BURN.
- Pour boiling water onto rice, it will release a strong cloud of steam; add bouillon cubes and any desired spices, stir and lower temperature to lowest possible. Cook until water has disappeared (approximately 20 min.)
- Cook peas until tender, boil and dice franks, toss with cooked rice.
- Serve with a salad, or as a side dish.